Navbar

Image Map

Monday, August 18, 2014

Guest Blogger: Mary Shows Us Her Attic

Howdy, y'all! 

My name is Mary and I blog about fixing up our 1939 Cape Cod over at Lemon Grove Blog. Big thanks to Laura for having me over today to guest post. 

Since we're in the middle of our own kitchen renovation over here, when I spotted Laura's kitchen on the her blog recently, I fell pretty hard for that gorgeously finished room! :) I had the best intentions of sharing our kitchen renovation with everyone, but since we're still wrapping up the finishing touches on that room, I thought I'd share one of my favorite renovations from our last home - turning our attic into a Master Suite! When we moved in, our attic was a semi-finished space, but the finishes were really craptastic. What can I say, pink carpet just isn't my jam. 
Attic Conversion
Since the room as is was really bad, we knew we'd want to gut everything completely. After adding insulation, adding plumbing for a bath and putting all new finishes down in the room, we had this! 

Master Suite in Attic 

Remember that empty wall from when you walked in before? We decided to optimize the space a bit better and add some built-in closets for extra storage. 

 Board and Batten Trim on Closet 

Along the other wall, we installed a long built-in bench with lots of cabinets for additional stashing locales. When you've got a 1940's home, you've got to get creative with storage for sure! 

Adding Built-in to Knee Wall 

I love how the little sitting area turned out. It was one of the cat's favorite hangouts :) 

Built-in Knee Wall 

To add some extra interest, we decided to install a board and batten accent wall behind our bed. It's one of my favorite ways to inexpensively add character to a space (the entire project only cost us $20!)

Master Suite in Attic 

Last, we also added a small half-bath to this room. We figured it would be good for resale to have a bathroom on this level, which proved to be very true when it came time to sell. 

Installing Toilet against knee wall 

I love how the herringbone subway tile floor turned out. I've already replicated the look in our laundry room in our current house I love it so much! 

Herringbone Tile Floor 

This room was small, but it had just enough space for a vanity and toilet! I guess that's all you need, right?! :) 

 White Granite Vanity 

We're now busy renovating our 1939 Cape Cod in North Carolina and loving (almost) every minute of it. Follow along with the fun! 
 ________________________________________________________________________________

Thanks for coming over today Mary and sharing about this beautiful reno!!

I love love love attic renovations! Especially ones where they are converted into entire master suites!! Michael and I look forward to the day when we can convert our own attic into usable space! 

Lets play the favorites game! I love the smart use of space in the knee wall of the room -the built in closets! But I also love the finishes of the bathroom - the board and batten in there is so cute! What about you?  What do you love?

Don't forget to head on over to Mary's blog and continue to follow along on her own renovation journey.  

-Laura

Don't miss a beat.  
{Follow this blog on Bloglovin'}
 http://www.bloglovin.com/blog/8102735/a-nurse-and-a-nerd 

-or-

{Follow this blog via Email}


Enter your email address:


Delivered by FeedBurner

7 comments:

  1. I truly like to reading your post. Thank you so much for taking the time to share such nice information.
    https://www.lcrenovation.co.uk/house-extension-in-elephant/
    House Renovations in Elephant

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for sharing this great post. It is very enlightening. I absolutely love to read informative stuff.
    House Renovations in Hammersmith

    ReplyDelete
  3. I genuinely admire you for writing such an informative and gainful detail here. Such a helpful information post regarding bathroom renovation service..
    Accounting services in barking

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nice Blog.Thanks for Sharing this wonderful blog. keep up the good work going. Are you in search of your dream home in the perfect location?
    House Renovations in Bermondsey

    ReplyDelete
  5. Mary and Laura were looking for a way to turn their attic into a master suite. They found someone to pay to do my online course who promised they could do it in three days.

    They decided to sign up and pay the $99 fee. After the course was over, they had a completed master suite with all of the necessary furniture and fixtures.

    Mary and Laura's story is not unique. Many people are turning to online courses as their solution for short-term needs like creating a new room or getting help with writing content for their website.

    ReplyDelete

I'd love to hear what you have to say. Questions, comments, advice...Think of this as your invitation to add something to our blog.