So last week I told you we had dug some Adirondack chairs out of my mother-in-law's garage. Well there were some other gems that we found under all that dust.
So as great as it is having space to decorate above my kitchen cabinets... I have space above my cabinets that I have to decorate. Meaning, what the heck am I going to put up there!?
It was easy when we moved in, it was Christmas time!
And then, after Christmas was over, I moved these little copper guys up there.
here if you are interested.) For a while they were hanging out on either side of our dining room window. Remember?
So then after Christmas, they found their way above the cabinets. And then I turned around and it was the end of May already, and they were still up there! I know you might not guess that they are a Christmas ornaments, necessarily, but I knew that they were and it just bothered me. I mean, I'm as excited for Christmas as the next person (possibly more excited), but it's important to enjoy each season as it comes, don'cha think?
So when I got these pretty blue-green mason jars, I knew just where they were headed.
Yes, I felt that I should give summer it's own time above the cabinets.
And I love the way the light shines through them.
Wanna know a secret?
I needed to prop the jars on top of something so that you would see them above the crown molding of the cabinets. Guess what I used?
Notice they are not engineering textbooks. hm....
I'm sure that doesn't mean anything.
What's that you say? More pictures of the kitchen? OK, sure....
I think there are lots of other possibilities for above the cabinet decorating. Here are a few ideas I've been thinking about:
- I love the idea of anything glass because it allows the light to shine through - glass plates or platters would be gorgeous. Or maybe a collection of varying sizes and shades of antique vases or pitchers.
- A loose weave basket would bring in some nice texture- might be a good option for those who don't have lights above your cabinets.
- Or maybe something with a nice shine to it - copper tea kettles would be adorable.
- Any type of garland, of course. And its super easy to switch out seasonally.
- If you're not a garland girl, during Christmas time, you could have a glass bowl full of antique glass ornaments, or -like me- pretty tree toppers (and supposedly you can keep them up there until May, which is nice.)
- For fall you could get some varying sizes of pretty artificial pumpkins (Hobby Lobby usually has a ton of different kinds), or find some bittersweet and arrange them using floral Styrofoam to keep them in place.
- Or maybe you would leave it bare for a completely open and simple look - I really like the simple and uncluttered look. Unfortunately, for my particular space (since my kitchen is black and white) it needs some color/texture/shine to keep things interesting.
What are your ideas for above the cabinet decorating? Don't you just love pretty additions that take minimal effort and time? What summer decorating have you been doing?
Happy Father's Day!
P.S.S. if you are wondering what color the Adirondack chairs are going to be, you'll have to wait until I finish them! Sorry! Gotta keep the suspense alive until the full reveal!
Oak and Oats: Weeks End, Motivational Monday Linky Party,